- Caffeine is widely used in anti-cellulite creams due to it's multiple lipolytic action.
- This action of caffeine makes most people wonder, "if caffeine helps break down fat at a local level, then why can't I take it by mouth (in the form of coffee or energy drinks such as Red Bull) to lose weight or reduce cellulite throughout my body?"
- The answer is very simple: caffeine cannot help you lose weight at a systemic (whole body) level, simply because it only helps with the breakdown and release of fat from fat cells. It DOES not stimulate fat oxidation (burning) on it's own (although it enhances the action of other thermogenic chemicals).
- So, by using only caffeine and not diet and exercise, the fat released from one fat cell simply returns to another eventually, UNLESS it is "burned" due to diet and/or exercise. This is the reason caffeine cannot be used for whole body fat loss or whole body cellulite reduction.
- Another limitation of high doses of caffeine taken orally for whole body weight loss is the effect of such high doses on the nervous system and the stimulation followed by exhaustion, that they cause.
- Finally, caffeine's action on the kidney stimulates the loss of minerals and water, leading to dehydration. Dehydration impairs not only lymphatic drainage but several other functions in the body.
- So, in summary, feel free to use caffeine locally, as part of an anti-cellulite cream, but avoid more than 2-3 cups of coffee, tea or green tea a day.
< Back to caffeine