- In a new study published yesterday it was found that the humble dandelion (taraxacum official) is very effective in causing apoptosis in human visceral pre-adipocytes (abdominal "baby" fat cells)
- On the other hand DHA, on the the two main omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil, caffeine and the berry extract resveratrol, we more effective in reducing fat accumulation in fat cells
- Caffeine, DHA and the olive leaf extract oleuropein were more effective in boosting fat reduction (lipolysis) in pre-adipocytes ("baby" fat cells)
- On the other hand, oleuropein, bitter orange and dandelion were more effective lipolytic agents in mature fat cells
- Finally caffeine inhibited adipogenesis in pre-adipocytes, i.e. it inhibited the growth of baby fat cells
- In summary, the most effective overall natural slimming chemicals that were assessed in this study were dandelion, caffeine and DHA, with resveratrol, oleuropein and bitter orange, also contributing to fat reduction
- This limited study only assessed 8 natural chemicals, out of hundreds with proven activities in lipolysis, adipogenesis, apoptosis etc, so a much more broad comparative study of natural slimming agents is warranted
- Source: Different anti-adipogenic effects of bio-compounds on primary visceral pre-adipocytes and adipocytes.
- Abstract: Several natural compounds exhibit strong capacity for decreasing triglyceride accumulation, enhancing lipolysis and inducing apoptosis. The present study reports the anti-adipogenic effects of Silybum marianum (SL), Citrus aurantium (CA), Taraxacum officinale (TO), resveratrol (RE), Curcuma longa (CU), caffeine (CF), oleuropein (OL) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in reducing differentiation and increasing lipolysis and apoptosis. Analyses were performed on human primary visceral pre-adipocytes after 10 (P10) and 20 (P20) days of treatment during differentiation and on mature adipocytes after 7 days of treatment (A7). The percentage of apoptosis induced by TO extract in P10 and P20 cells was significantly higher than that induced by all other compounds and in CTRL cells. Triglyceride accumulation was significantly lower in cells treated with DHA, CF, RE in comparison to cells treated with OL and in CTRL cells. Treatments with CF, DHA and OL significantly incremented lipolysis in P20 cells in comparison to other compounds and in CTRL cells. On the contrary, the treatment of A7 cells with OL, CA and TO compounds significantly increased cell lipolysis. The addition of CF in differentiating P20 pre-adipocytes significantly increased the expression of genes involved in inhibition of adipogenesis, such as GATA2, GATA3, WNT1, WNT3A, SFRP5, and DLK1. Genes involved in promoting adipogenesis such as CCND1, CEBPB and SREBF1 were significantly down-regulated by the treatment. The screening of bioactive compounds for anti-adipogenic effects showed that in differentiating cells TO extract was the most effective in inducing apoptosis and CF and DHA extracts were more efficient in inhibition of differentiation and in induction of cell lipolysis.
< Back to resveratrol
< Back to caffeine