Allantoin, leg wellness & cellulite
Allantoin, was originally derived from comfrey (Symphytum officinale) and is the main active molecule responsible for comfrey's healing action on connective tissue (skin and joints). Allantoin has been widely researched for decades and has been found to have skin repairing and exfoliating action. Allantoin is therefore of great importance as an active ingredient in anti-cellulite, anti-ageing, leg wellness, stretch mark and under-eye creams.
ALLANTOIN CELLULITE CREAMS, BY Celluence®
The allantoin used for the Celluence® cellulite creams is of the highest quality, of >95% purity and in a natural, super-fast absorption matrix. We are proud to feature a high quality, highly purified allantoin in our formulations, together with multiple other natural active ingredients, for maximum synergy and effectiveness. No other cellulite creams offer ALL the important anti-cellulite / leg wellness ingredients, in one package (learn how our creams differ from any other cellulite formulation).
Allantoin: Papers & articles
(Disclaimer: please note that the information and the research presented on this page is for informational purposes only and does not constitute efficacy claims for the Celluence® creams, neither does it constitute or aim to replace medical advice)
- In this university study, performed by two Italian universities over two years, it was found that a herbal compound, in combination with compression garments containing multiple active ingredients, significantly improved inflammation, healing time and pain in phlebitis, in relation to compression garments alone.
- The authors suggest that ivy extract in the cream contributed to pain reduction; horse chestnut, butcher's broom and grape seed extract reduced inflammation; and allantoin, gotu kola and hyaluronic acid aided to sore healing.
- In patients who applied both the cream and the compression garment pain stopped in 72 hours, inflammation disappeared in one week, tissue swelling stopped in one week and healing was complete in 4 weeks!
- This study demonstrates the absorption and efficacy of multi-ingredient creams in circulatory and inflammatory disorders, and the effectiveness of the natural actives gotu kola, horse chestnut, allantoin and hyaluronic acid, among others. These same actives are used in anti-cellulite and leg wellness creams for the same reasons: circulation improvement, tissue repair and inflammation reduction, all important aspects of cellulite reduction.
- Source: Multicentric study on a topical compound with lymph-draining action in the treatment of the phlebostatic ulcer of the inferior limbs].
- Abstract: Phlebostatic sore of the lower limbs is a typical chronic venous insufficiency complication and is still a widely controversial issue in its treatment. The common therapies, in fact, are not yet standardized and they not show complete efficacy. Since 2005 to 2007 a multicentric clinical trial was conducted at the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of "Sapienza" University of Rome and at the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department, University of Perugia, in order to evaluate the efficacy of the Idrastin lymph-draining cream in patients with phlebostatic sores of the lower limbs. This study enrolled on 80 patients, split into 2 homogeneous groups of 40 patients: group A was treated by only elastocompressive therapy, group B by elastocompressive therapy and Idrastin. Multicentric analysis has considered the following parameters: local pain, perilesional flogosis , granulation tissue, perilesional tissue tropism healing time. In the group B results highlighted: reduction of the local pain, stopped in 72 hours; flogosis decrease disappeared in one week; tissue granulation growth in one week; lesion healing in 4 weeks. These results pointed out statistically significance of the variables considered. In our opinion Idrastin compounds such as phytoessence of hops and Hedera helix, had contributed to analgesia; Aesculus hippocastanum, and Vitis vinifera and Ruscus aculeatus phytoessence showed anti-flogistic action; allantoin and Centella asiatica and hyaluronic acid aided to sore healing. Idrastin gives an effective support to the treatment of the phlebostatic sores warrants a faster and more effective healing process, than to the wounds treated by only the elastocompressive therapy.
- Calorie restriction has been widely established to help extend life and improve health in animals and humans alike. Some substances, such as resveratrol and pterostilbene among others, are known to mimic calorie restriction and provide valuable anti-ageing benefits.
- In a recent study it was found that the anti-ageing chemical allantoin, used for decades in cosmetics for it's skin repairing benefits, may also be a caloric restriction mimic substance that extends lifespan.
- Allantoin is naturally found in comfrey and is the primary reason of it's healing / repair action on skin.
- For the moment scientists have tested allantoin in nematode worms, on which most life extension experiments initially take place, and have found that allantoin exerts significant life extension and health improvement benefits on those animals.
- So the next stage is to try allantoin orally in higher animals and humans to examine if it can provide life extending / anti-ageing properties in higher organisms.
- The good news is that allantoin is already widely available and used in anti-ageing / skin repair creams, and it is super safe and effective.
- So you don't need to wait for several years for clinical trials to be finalised to use this natural plant chemical. You can use locally it straight away in the form of a cream for it's already known properties on the skin, and if proof of further anti-ageing benefits materialise, this proof can only explain how allantoin works, not if it works :)
- However, for the moment I would NOT use this plant chemical orally, until solid safety data are available on it's oral use.
- Source: A network pharmacology approach reveals new candidate caloric restriction mimetics in C. elegans, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26676933
- Abstract: "Caloric restriction (CR), a reduction in calorie intake without malnutrition, retards aging in several animal models from worms to mammals. Developing CR mimetics, compounds that reproduce the longevity benefits of CR without its side effects, is of widespread interest. Here, we employed the Connectivity Map to identify drugs with overlapping gene expression profiles with CR. Eleven statistically significant compounds were predicted as CR mimetics using this bioinformatics approach. We then tested rapamycin, allantoin, trichostatin A, LY-294002 and geldanamycin in Caenorhabditis elegans. An increase in lifespan and healthspan was observed for all drugs except geldanamycin when fed to wild-type worms, but no lifespan effects were observed in eat-2 mutant worms, a genetic model of CR, suggesting that life-extending effects may be acting via CR-related mechanisms. We also treated daf-16 worms with rapamycin, allantoin or trichostatin A, and a lifespan extension was observed, suggesting that these drugs act via DAF-16-independent mechanisms, as would be expected from CR mimetics. Supporting this idea, an analysis of predictive targets of the drugs extending lifespan indicates various genes within CR and longevity networks. We also assessed the transcriptional profile of worms treated with either rapamycin or allantoin and found that both drugs use several specific pathways that do not overlap, indicating different modes of action for each compound. The current work validates the capabilities of this bioinformatic drug repositioning method in the context of longevity and reveals new putative CR mimetics that warrant further studies. "